13 November 2015

how to make a thanksgiving cornucopia wreath decoration for your own home






As many of you know, I feel Thanksgiving to be an under valued holiday.  However, I also feel it is a silly holiday, because you should always be grateful for all of your blessings. 

Many people get irritated when Christmas music is being played - always saying that "It's not even Thanksgiving yet!"  Not that they want to celebrate Thanksgiving....  But after you have been in choirs for years you get use to the music at the beginning of October or even September, so... 

They also have a fit when the stores are filled to the brink with Christmas goodies the day after Halloween (or before), although working retail you learn to love that crazy time of the year and slightly tolerate the decor.  However, there is a good point - there are barely any Thanksgiving decorations! 

So when my Mother set out to decorate this year and felt our wall over the fireplace was very empty, I went to work.  And now I am going to share with you how to make a cornucopia wreath.


Step 1: Gather Supplies

We got the blank wreath at the hobby store.  It was cheaper than the wire one I would have had to add to.
We spent a pretty penny on this wreath, and when I first had the idea I realized that much fake fruit would cost a lot, so I stopped by the dollar store, and hit the jackpot.  Not all dollar stores are created equal, as my trip can tell.  At the first one I found nearly everything I got, the apples, grapes, pears, berries, oranges, peppers, a lemon, and even a small peach.  The second store I went in had the harvest veggies, and berries, and that was all.  But, I was able to get it all for $1 each, I figure saving at least $100.  When we went to the craft store these were at least $5 each, but we did splurge on the strawberries for $5.
This was our other splurge.  My mother wanted some leafs, and I didn't want the green ones.  After hunting for awhile in the massive selection, we found these lovelies.  I would recommend these if nothing else, because I think they are what is holding half of the wreath together.
These pine cones were free, a super good value.  I was trying to figure out where I could snag some from.  Our tree doesn't produce any, and our neighbor has torn down their pine tree.  Then we remembered that over 15 years ago we had got a bunch of pine cones from my favorite great-aunt's house before she moved and had planned to use them in some sort of craft.  Well, we used some of them for this.

Step 2: Add Leaves

I wasn't sure at all how to build this thing.  I wanted it to last, and knew that wood wasn't the best to hold hot glue to.  But, I just started with glue.  I then would weave the steams into the wreath a bit, not that it would have stayed by itself.  Well, then I brought out the wire.  I am a fan of this small wire, and would wrap and wrap it around both the steams of the wreath and the new leafs I was attaching like you would wrap together a bread bag.  I'm fairly sure that those aren't coming out any time soon.

Step 3: Add Berries

Did the same thing with the berries as I did with the leafs.

Step 4: Add Grapes

The grapes had this handy hole in the top that I was able to wire to the wreath as well.  I also would make sure and wrap both ends of all of the items I was attaching, just to be sure.  I kept adding the easy stuff first, so whatever you have that is easy, stick it on.

Step 5: Add Fruit

Before I actually put the fruit on I laid it out in a circle so that the colors and items weren't bunched together on the wreath.  Or at least that was the idea.  I forgot to take a picture of it all laid out.  As you can see, I then started with the colors red and green, and well, I just sort of ended up trying to put them in the same place, but failing and just put them wherever.  My mother loved the completely random look and how they were all so different.  The truth is, it takes a lot of work to make them so different, but at the same time is easier because you have to just not care about being a perfectionist.  I like them random as well.
While attaching I was still scared of it not holding, so I tried a bunch of different approaches.  With a lot of the items that had steams I would wrap some wire around them and then attach it.  And of course, glue the crap out of it.  I went through a small bag of glue sticks on this project, so be prepared.
The problem I kept running into was the steams were against the wreath and didn't look as cool as it could, so with a few of them I would attach the wire far down and the wrap it around so the steams were facing out.  Sure, you can see the wire when you get up close, but most people don't, and if they do they are looking to see how you made it anyways, so they are impressed.  Let them look.
And then came the rest of the fruit.  When all else failed, I just used the glue.  But, this is where the leafs come in so handy - use them!  So much of the things are glued to these lovelies, even the things that are wired in.  It not only made it more secure, but has an added dimension with some leaves coming out and covering parts of the fruit.  Made it look integrated and not like fruit on top of a wreath.  Love it.

Step 6: Add Pine Cones

The pine cones were added as a filler, mostly under the fruit and leafs, and to add that extra bit of volume, a detail that you don't need, but that enhances the overall look.  I would have added more, but had already been on my feet for over two hours, maybe three, I don't know, time kept going by and I wasn't finished.  This was not a short project, but well worth it.

Step 7: Hang on Wall and Enjoy!

Mine is hung on three nails, but I don't know how much the middle one is holding since it is kind of high, but it was already in the wall, so... I am against new holes if I can avoid it.
I seriously would just sit and stare at this thing for hours, so do enjoy it.

Thanks for stopping by!  I hope you enjoyed learning how to make this Thanksgiving Cornucopia Wreath.  If you did, make sure let me know below, and share it with your friends.  I would also love to see your own cornucopia wreaths, so let me know.  Thanks, and I look forward to sharing more with you soon!


1 comment:

Comments? Questions? Concerns? Emotional Outbursts?