06 November 2015

Thankful Only Once?


Once a year a time comes around, a time to be grateful for what you have.  It is a time to reflect upon what you cherish in life, what you think you couldn't live without.  Some celebrate by eating turkey, some spend time with their family, some watch football, and some get ready for the largest shopping day of the year.  But why?  Why only once?    

Everyone in the world has something to be thankful for.  It may be lots of money.  It may be lots of opportunities.  It may be a cornucopia of love ones.  It might be having a blanket.  Or maybe it is just being able to live.  Everyone is blessed in many different ways, and everyone should be thankful for those blessings.     


The following is something to ponder:  

  • If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep ... you are richer than 75% of this world. 
  • If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace ... you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.  
  • If you woke up this morning with more health than illness ... you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.  
  • If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation... you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.  
  • If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death ... you are more blessed than three billion people in the world.  
  • If your parents are still alive and still married ... you are very rare, even in the United States.  
  • If you hold up your head with a smile on your face and are truly thankful ... you are blessed because the majority can, but most do not.  
  • If you can hold someone's hand, hug them or even touch them on the shoulder ... you are blessed because you can offer healing touch.  
  • If you can read this post,  you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read at all.        

To be Thankful For.......  

  • ....the mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends. 
  • ....the taxes I pay because it means that I'm employed.  
  • ....the clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat.  
  • ....my shadow who watches me work because it means I am out in the sunshine.  
  • ....a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.  
  • ....all the complaining I hear about our government because it means we have freedom of speech.  
  • .....the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking.  
  • ....my huge heating bill because it means I am warm.  
  • .....the lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means that I can hear.  
  • ....the piles of laundry and ironing because it means I have clothes to wear.  
  • .....weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been productive.  
  • ....the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because it means that I'm alive.  
  • .....getting too much email bogs me down but at least I know I have friends who are thinking of me.  


Now, I want you to think of 100 things you are thankful for, go on, do it.     

Have it yet?  No, to hard?  I don't think so.  Want some help?    

Okay, here is what you do, you take some paper, or other writing surface, and make five lists. 
  1. Physical things, things you can touch. 
  2. Opportunities, things you are able to do.  
  3. People, those you love.  
  4. Things about me, or you in this case, what do you like about you? 
  5. Things about the day.   
Now write 20 things on each list.  It might take a while to get started, but once it comes, it will come.  Now, have those 100 things?  Have more than 100?  I have over 200 people.  Keep this list.  Add to it.  Share it with others.  Look at it often to remember all the things you are blessed with.    

Here is part of my list:

Physical things           

  • House to live in
  • Own Car 
  • Contacts to see with 
  • Guitar 
  • Water (so tasty) 
  • Heater 
  • Computer
  • Fingernails  
  • Phone 
  • Clothes

Things about me           

  • I can walk 
  • I can sing
  • I am organized 
  • I can read 
  • I can picture things 
  • I have a job I love   
  • I learn quickly
  • I am strong willed
  • I am passionate about this
  • I can write

Opportunities   

  • School 
  • Work 
  • Choir 
  • Church 
  • Shopping 
  • Making Friends
  • Gym
  • LDS Insitute
  • Outdoor Recreation
  • Sleeping

Things about the day           

  • Having a bed 
  • Eating breakfast 
  • Going to work 
  • Having a car to go to work 
  • Having the internet 
  • Finishing projects 
  • Getting to watch TV 
  • Getting to see my parents
  • Getting to see my best friends
  • Being able to write this post



Take some time out of the day to ponder.  Ponder on what blessings are in your life.  Think of the things that you have to be grateful for.  Maybe even show that appreciation to those deserve it.  Remember, being thankful should come around more than once.

Go ahead and share some of the things you are thankful for below in the comments section.  I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Concerns? Emotional Outbursts?