15 May 2013

Green Ricky -from brickfish

Original post date: 12 May 2009 



I would like to nominate my friend Ricky. Sure, he does the normal stuff that everyone should be doing anyways, like recycling paper, after is it used for scratch paper. Or, using a reusable shopping bag, which can actually be hard to do sometimes. Or a metal water bottle for all drinking needs. He is also studying how to make architecture more sustainable, come to find out that is just good design. He does all that, and more, but what is the most profound thing is his bike riding.

He is normally the one to point out how pretty the sunset is, so pretty because of the smog, which then makes it horrible. "That's why I rode my bike today."

I think he is anti-car, as am I, he just has the guts to not take his car places. It took me two months to even realize he owned a car.

He travels all over on his bike, even if we are all traveling by car to someplace, like the cemetery, or downtown to a site visit. He even took his bike to a wedding, a 45 minute drive (by car) away. He assured me that it was okay because he would take Trax, our public transit train, out there. I stared at him knowing the end of the line was still a 20 minute drive away. His story was funny, about how it was pouring rain, and so windy he kept falling off his bike. He had to go up a hill, got stuck by some police, then had to turn around and find a different route up a different hill. But would he do it again? Yes.

If he wasn't known for his singing, he would totally be known for the one who rides his bike. A lot of people at school ride bikes when the weather gets nicer, but he has been riding his bike the whole winter. I don't think I've ever seen him drive to school. I have seen his car, so it does exist. It was during the horrible snowstorm that I didn’t even want to drive in. He brought his car up because it would be hard to carry a large building model on his bike. I wanted a picture of him on his bike riding around in the snow, because he does that a lot.

He also rides that thing around in the oddest outfits. Because he is in choirs, he has to dress nicely for things. But he wears them on the bike.

I look up to him because of it. Sure, I may give him a hard time, but I would love to be able to do it as well. I have tried, and it didn’t work. I'm impressed with how he has the guts to do it. He doesn't care that people give him a hard time. He does it anyways.

Disclaimer:  This post was originally made on the website Brickfish.  It was entered into a contest, got lots of views, votes and comments.  Brickfish has changed, even got removed altogether, since I originally posted.  However, I didn't want to loose these again, I put a lot of time into them.  So, now you can enjoy them here on my blog as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Concerns? Emotional Outbursts?