20 March 2013

Celebrate Earth Day -from brickfish

Original post date: 14 May 2010 




I have a slightly weird habit of every time that I see some garbage on the ground that I could make some jewelry out of I pick it up.  Many of my favorite items are large bolts and washers.  One day I found a single child’s blue flip-flop in the gutter.  I got some weird looks as I took it home on the train.  I cut it apart into small chunks, and then made some earrings, and necklaces out of them.  They are so nice, and you can’t even tell what it once was.      

I even have a reputation among my friends that they will bring me items that I can make something out of.  I have had many of my friends give me their broken headphones that I then turn into necklaces with charms on them.  A favorite is to also take old 45 record adapters and turn them into necklaces and earrings.           
                       
I also have a compulsion to every time I see a can in the garbage to pick it up and pull the pop tab off of it.  One day I visited a metal shop with a box full of cans.  I politely asked what they were for, and found out that it was taken to the recycling center.  He allowed me to take the tops off of them all while he sat and amusingly watched how excited I was.  I have made some nice necklaces out of them, and plan to make more things.  I have even inspired my friend to start to collect them for a bag she plans to make.
                         
There are also a lot of other things that I enjoy making jewelry out of.  I like to tear apart broken computer parts to see what is inside.  I have make earrings out of the electronic plastic inside of a keyboard.  The wiring in electronics is also very interesting and colorful.  I have also made necklaces out of this.  A favorite is also out of an old oxygen tube that was headed for the garbage.  The tubes make interesting necklaces that can be worn with the clear side forward or the attachment as a charm.               
         
I always get comments when I wear my jewelry, and people are even more amazed when they find out what it is made of.  My art teacher always loves what I wear to class, and has even bought some.  I also sell these items that I have made out of the items I collect, to share the beauty with others. 


Disclaimer:  This post was originally made on the website Brickfish.  It was entered into a contest, got lots of views, votes and comments.  Brickfish has changed, even got removed altogether, since I originally posted.  However, I didn't want to loose these again, I put a lot of time into them.  So, now you can enjoy them here on my blog as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Concerns? Emotional Outbursts?