03 July 2012

how to be a better manager

I have had a lot of managers in my days, and even though I haven't directly been one, I have acted as one on various occasions. 

One thing I have learned is to be nice is way better than to be rude.  I know of one manager who always seemed that she is upset at something her workers were doing or not doing.  It made the workers not want to work. On the other hand, I knew one who was always praising workers, even before they did something, and the workers were always ready to work harder for him.

Another thing I have learned is to explain why you are doing something.  If you just order people around, they aren't going to want to do it.  But, if you tell them the why something they are required to do is important, then they are more likely to do it.

I have also found that micro management doesn't work very well.  If you have to manage people that much you might as well be doing it yourself.  You need to trust people, and let them do it on their own.

So, whether you have one employee to look after or 100, or even just yourself, be a good manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Concerns? Emotional Outbursts?